Ketamine Infusions for Depression: How it Works and What to Expect
Learn Dr. Kaveh’s pioneering approach to understanding and treating depression with holistic IV Ketamine therapy with NAD.
Ketamine Treats Depression at the Root
Patients trying to heal from depression often feel “stuck.” This is the result of three problems:
- Childhood experiences (“ACEs”)
- Persistent stressful experiences without adequate support. These can be emotional, medical, or financial stressors, or even side effects from other medications.
- Neurotransmitter imbalances in the brain
Clarus Health emphasizes the importance of holistically treating depression with IV Ketamine and NAD infusions by addressing each of these 3 contributors to depression without the side effects of typical antidepressants.
Ketamine Helps Reveal Unresolved Childhood Trauma and Stressors
Childhood trauma has significant effects on the developing brain that can contribute to lifelong physical and psychological diseases. However, some of us are prone to underestimating the effects childhood trauma because we have covered the raw experiences with years, or decades, of coping mechanisms. This can lead to burying these adversities deep in our subconscious, where we may not be aware of their ongoing effects.
Ketamine, like psychedelics, allows for an expansion of our consciousness. This state of mind allows for compassion and forgiveness to explore our childhood adversities from the perspective of healing from them. This requires preparation with our expert Clarus physicians in the Bay Area, or with your trusted mental health professional.
Environmental Stressors can be Re-Processed with IV Ketamine Therapy
Our modern-day environments are filled with physical and psychological stressors. Some examples include:
- Medical conditions (chronic pain, fibromyalgia, autoimmune disease, Ehler’s Danlos Syndrome [EDS], etc.)
- Interpersonal stressors: parenting, divorce, family dynamics, etc.
- Medication side effects: β blocker therapy, chemotherapy, etc.
- Job and financial stressors
Environmental stressors test our resilience. Most people have a tremendous capacity for resilience, but this may be reduced with persistent, unrelenting stress (“death by a thousand paper cuts”).
With the proper preparation and guidance, IV Ketamine therapy helps us fundamentally change our self-perception. By modulating the effects of potent neurotransmitters, including glutamate, serotonin, and norepinephrine, Ketamine fosters increased cognitive flexibility. This helps us break free of feeling “stuck” and allows us to face life’s challenges with greater resilience.
Neurotransmitter Imbalances can be Restored with Ketamine and NAD
Depression is associated with numerous chemical imbalances in the brain and body. While traditional antidepressant medications target serotonin and norepinephrine receptors, Ketamine also serves as a potent antagonist of glutamate and NMDA receptors.
Furthermore, Ketamine enhances the release of Brain Derived Neurotrophic Growth Factors (BDNF). BDNF is often referred to as “brain fertilizer” because it supports nerve growth and healing. The process of forming new connections is called “neuroplasticity” and is believed to underlie many of the healing properties of Ketamine therapy. Forming new connections allows for replacing maladaptive coping mechanisms with intentional and mindful emotional responses.
Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD) is a potent catalyst for cellular healing and energy production. Combining IV Ketamine with NAD allows for accelerated depression treatment. While IV Ketamine alone is powerful for treating depression, some cases of severe, treatment-resistant depression may have enhanced benefits with adding NAD. Dr. Kaveh personalizes these combined treatment protocols to each patient for successful healing.
Treating Depression with IV Ketamine Therapy: What to Expect
Dr. Kaveh’s holistic approach to treating the root causes of depression includes the following 3 steps:
- Preparation: Consultation with Dr. Kaveh to prime your mind to find the greatest healing from your Ketamine experience.
- IV Ketamine Infusions: Experience rapid healing in our peaceful and comfortable clinic under the direct guidance of expert Clarus physicians: Dr. Kaveh and Dr. Shrestha.
- Integration: Apply the insights gained from the Ketamine experience to your daily life. Without this invaluable step, the positive experiences may “fade away” without integrating into your psyche for sustained healing.
Contact Clarus with any questions about how IV Ketamine therapy can help treat the root causes of your depression.